Giving to support the work of St James’ Church
- We invite every member of St James’ Church to consider giving in support of the work of the Church.
- Do you know that it will cost us £1,500 a week to keep St James’ Church open and running in 2017?
- We have to budget for ministry costs, the costs of our building and running the church office.
- About £250 a week comes from room hire but in order to be attractive for users we must keep the building warm and well maintained – as well as for our congregation!
- We depend on your generosity to pay these bills. Our budget for 2017 shows that we expect to generate a small surplus before the one-off expense of replacing the boiler. This assumes no surprises in our income or expenditure, and that we are using our reserves to fund the boiler replacement. In order to generate funds that would enable us to develop and expand our outreach to the wider community, we will need to grow our financial resources, via an increase in our regular giving.
How much should I give?
- The Church of England urges each of us to give 5% of our income for the work of the Church, based on the tradition of the tithe. Please consider how much you can give to St James’ Church as part of your charitable giving.
- Making a regular donation helps us to budget for our costs and make plans for the future.
- Please be as generous as you can and, if you are not already doing so, start a regular pledge, or consider whether you can increase your current giving.
- If you are a taxpayer please Gift Aid your donation (at no extra cost to you). St James’ Church receives 25p extra for each £1 you give under Gift Aid.
How can I give?
- The simplest way is to have a regular Standing Order from your bank or to give via the weekly Envelope Giving Scheme.
- Any giving by cheque or cash is, of course, also welcome.
- All information about giving is confidential.
- Legacies have made an important contribution to St James’ Church and enabled us to fund improvements and the care of the building. Please consider including a legacy to St James’ Church in your will, helping to secure the long-term future for our church.
- A one-off donation to help support the work of St James’, in addition to any regular commitment, would be very welcome as part of our stewardship campaign.
Please download a form and, once completed, please return it via the ‘Stewardship Forms’ pigeon hole in the corridor by the side entrance or the Church Office.
For further information, please contact our Treasurer, Sue Wilson, on 01223 247507 or firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message in the Church Office. Sue will be happy to discuss any questions about Gift Aid or other tax efficient ways of giving. A copy of our accounts and budget is on display on the noticeboard, and included in the annual Parish Meeting papers. Please ask Sue if you would like a further copy.